Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Laquin Commentary - Part 3

Today, the Barclay Cemetery is in decent condition compared to what it was like when I first visited the site. We entered the cemetery and it was immediately pointed out to us that we needed to be careful and stay on the paths. The cemetery was full of large sink holes where coal mines under the cemetery had collapsed. Some of the grave stones were in the holes.

Although we were only at the cemetery briefly, it made an impression on me just the same. I wondered who these people were.

Upon arriving home, I was absolutely worn out, and my head was spinning with everything I had seen and heard over the past two days. For a kid that was only just a decade old, my brain was on overload. I started talking about Laquin and I haven't stopped since that day. I wanted to know more.

I started a scrapbook on Laquin and wrote down everything that I saw or heard during the trip. It is still amusing to read what my first impressions of Laquin were. Shortly after this I discovered that one of my ancestors was a clerk at the Laquin store.

This experience was the beginning of my interest in local history. It led me to find out more about my hometown of LeRoy and eventually start the LeRoy Heritage Museum. I would eventually lead tours of Laquin which allowed me the opportunity to become very familiar with the town.

Two years ago, while designing the Bradford County Historical Society's new Barclay Mountain history book, I spent many hours examining the photographs of Laquin that are available. I realized that people have written about the town and some have used photographs to illustrate their history, but has anyone focused on the photos themselves?

Rather than giving information and supplementing it with photos, the program, "Laquin: Behind the Photos," shows photos and supplements them with information. Many people learn more through sight rather than sound. Why not learn from the photographs?

Don't miss the program, "Laquin: Behind the Photos," on Saturday, November 7, 2009 beginning at 1 p.m. Doors open at 12:30 p.m. Admission of $6 per person will be charged at the door. The proceeds benefit the work of the Bradford County Historical Society. See you then!